FACT: Outdoor experiences can improve academic performance and social-emotional well-being.
FACT: U.S. students spend >900 hours each year in school.
That’s a lot of time.
Make sure some of it is spent OUTDOORS.
Join Get Outdoors Leadville! & Colorado Mountain College for
Get Outdoors Educators! 2019 Backpacking Retreat
a 6-day professional development experience in Leadville, CO from July 15-20 geared toward educators who want to enhance outdoor education opportunities and impacts for their students
Just a few of the many reasons why you should sign up:
- Earn 56 professional development hours or 5.6 CEUs.
- Learn how to break down barriers that make it challenging to take your students outdoors for learning and development.
- Ground yourself in the research supporting outdoor learning as a lever for academic achievement and students’ social-emotional well being.
- Draw inspiration from other *motivated* educators and a retreat in the mountains to ensure your students get outdoors more often and more effectively.
- Backpack in the mountains with other inspired, inspiring, incredible educators while honing your teaching craft!
$612 (Includes all professional development curriculum to empower you to teach outdoors, meals, backpacking equipment and instruction, and wilderness camping experience). *A non-refundable $75 registration fee goes to help sustain Get Outdoors Leadville! work in Lake County.
REGISTER NOW! Call CMC at 719.486.2015 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration closes on July 8th
This is a 6-day experience including a 5-day, 4-night backpacking component. No prior backpacking or camping experience is necessary, but a basic level of fitness and a desire to spend time camping and hiking are a must. All required camping and hiking skills will be taught throughout the retreat. The hiking distances are typically about 2-4 miles each day at elevations above 11,000’, with packs ranging from 30-45 pounds. All group work – from cooking to navigating to camp set up – will be shared by participants.
Itinerary & Agenda:
- July 15 – Arrive at Colorado Mountain College’s Leadville campus at 10am
- July 16-20 – Backpacking experience in the Sawatch Mountain near Leadville, CO
- July 20 – Depart Colorado Mountain College’s Leadville campus at 4pm
- Optional housing on CMC’s campus for nights that are not on the camping trip – contact Katie Bosio 719.486.4291, email@example.com to learn more about lodging for July 15th and/or July 20th
Detailed itinerary coming soon.
The “Get Outdoors Educators! Backpacking Retreat” is designed to bring together motivated educators who share a passion for educating youth outdoors, whether it’s just a nascent interest or a well-established teaching practice for you. Get Outdoors Leadville! and Colorado Mountain College have intentionally curated time in an inspiring place (the Sawatch Mountains near Leadville, CO) to immerse in the evidence that supports outdoor learning, discuss barriers and discover solutions to teaching and learning outdoors, engage with kindred spirits to develop systems and tools to make outdoor teaching easier, and connect more deeply with our own relationship to the natural world to inspire your teaching approaches.
This immersive learning backpacking expedition will be led by professional outdoor facilitators and seasoned educators who will draw on the wisdom of participants and the power of the experiential process. Retreat elements include:
- shared readings and group discussions;
- periodic solo time for reflection and introspection;
- examination of behind-the-scenes implementation logistics for academic and culture-building learning experiences outdoors;
- overview of school-based systems and individual techniques for making every outing a success;
- investigation of the challenges and solutions to regular outdoor learning experiences;
- plus the inspiration and camaraderie of a shared camping adventure.
Contact Becca Katz, Community Learning Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 719.293.5169 for more information or with any questions.