FACT: Outdoor experiences can improve academic performance and social-emotional well-being.
FACT: U.S. students spend >900 hours each year in school.
That’s a lot of time.
Make sure some of it is spent OUTDOORS.
Join Get Outdoors Leadville! & Colorado Mountain College for
Brains on Nature Educators’ Professional Development Workshop
a 6-day professional development experience in Leadville, CO from July 20-25, 2020 geared toward educators who want to enhance outdoor education opportunities and impacts for their students
Course Cancelation Notice 5/7/2020: We know that nature connection is more important than ever right now. It is thus with a heavy heart that we share that Get Outdoors Leadville! has made the tough decision to cancel this summer’s Brains on Nature: Educators’ Professional Development Workshop continuing education course with Colorado Mountain College. We are grateful to you for your interest in this course and hope you’ll be able to join in a future summer!
We did not make this decision lightly; with uncertainties associated with the COVID-19 pandemic (including the USFS and local public health social distancing requirements), we have concerns it would not be a viable course by the July timeframe. More importantly, we would prefer to offer this course in its intended format (a backpacking trip!) rather than modify it to a virtual or hybrid environment, where its impact would be harder to achieve.
Just a few of the many reasons why you should sign up:
- Earn 56 professional development hours or 5.6 CEUs.
- Learn how to break down barriers that make it challenging to take your students outdoors for learning and development.
- Ground yourself in the research supporting outdoor learning as a lever for academic achievement and students’ social-emotional well being.
- Draw inspiration from other *motivated* educators and a retreat in the mountains to ensure your students get outdoors more often and more effectively.
- Backpack in the mountains with other inspired, inspiring, incredible educators while honing your teaching craft!
$800 (Includes all professional development curriculum to empower you to teach outdoors, meals starting with lunch on 7/20, backpacking equipment and instruction, and wilderness camping experience).
Interested? Email email@example.com or call 719-293-5169.
This is a 6-day experience including a 5-day, 4-night backpacking component. No prior backpacking or camping experience is necessary, but a basic level of fitness and a desire to spend time camping and hiking are a must. All required camping and hiking skills will be taught throughout the retreat. The hiking distances are typically about 2-5 miles each day at elevations above 11,000’, with packs ranging from 30-45 pounds. All group work – from cooking to navigating to camp set up – will be shared by participants.
What to bring:
- Click here for a suggested packing list.
- Click here for a personal gear request sheet to borrow gear from Get Outdoors Leadville!. Note – there is a column with recommended items for this course. You can borrow any personal gear on this invoice *free-of-charge.* Please fill it out and return it to Get Outdoors Leadville! – firstname.lastname@example.org – as soon as you are able, but definitely by July 10th so she can pull gear and you can arrange a time to come pick it up. Call/email Get Outdoors Leadville! email@example.com / 719.297.1769 with any questions.
***PLEASE BRING ALL PERSONAL GEAR (whether you own it or are borrowing it) TO DAY ONE ON 7/20 SO WE CAN CHECK YOUR GEAR AND ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE.***
- July 20 – Arrive at Colorado Mountain College’s Leadville campus, Climax Buiding at 10am; depart at 7pm (***Or stay in CMC dorms – Housing on CMC’s campus is included in course tuition for the night of 7/20; additional nights can be arranged at a modest cost. Contact Brooke Larson – firstname.lastname@example.org or 719.486.4291 to book your room for 7/20 and additional nights.***)
- July 21-25 – Backpacking experience in the Sawatch Mountain near Leadville, CO
- July 25 – Depart Colorado Mountain College’s Leadville campus by 2pm (or stay in dorms***)
|Date||Key Logistical deets||Guiding Questions/Themes||Activities|
The “Get Outdoors Educators! Backpacking Retreat” is designed to bring together motivated educators who share a passion for educating youth outdoors, whether it’s just a nascent interest or a well-established teaching practice for you. Get Outdoors Leadville! and Colorado Mountain College have intentionally curated time in an inspiring place (the Sawatch Mountains near Leadville, CO) to immerse in the evidence that supports outdoor learning, discuss barriers and discover solutions to teaching and learning outdoors, engage with kindred spirits to develop systems and tools to make outdoor teaching easier, and connect more deeply with our own relationship to the natural world to inspire your teaching approaches.
This immersive learning backpacking expedition will be led by professional outdoor facilitators and seasoned educators who will draw on the wisdom of participants and the power of the experiential process. Retreat elements include:
- shared readings and group discussions;
- periodic solo time for reflection and introspection;
- examination of behind-the-scenes implementation logistics for academic and culture-building learning experiences outdoors;
- overview of school-based systems and individual techniques for making every outing a success;
- investigation of the challenges and solutions to regular outdoor learning experiences;
- plus the inspiration and camaraderie of a shared camping adventure.
Contact Becca Katz, Community Learning Director, at email@example.com or 719.293.5169 for more information or with any questions.