The Community Gear Library has thousands of pieces of gear – ranging from socks to skis and backpacks to bikes – available to support members’ outdoor adventuring plans.
But just like any regular library that categorizes its books by genre, we think it’s easier to navigate borrowing needs by starting with the type of activity you’re interested in.
Here are some general suggestions to get you started:
These lists are a sub-set of the current Gear Library inventory, grouped by items most commonly utilized for these activities. We are happy to provide advice on outfitting for various types of adventures, but cannot accept responsibility for the selections borrowers ultimate make and the gear taken into the field.
- Backpacking: English & Spanish
- Biking (mountain & snow biking): English & Spanish
- Camping: English & Spanish
- Day Hiking: English & Spanish
- Nordic Skiing: English & Spanish
- Snowshoeing: English & Spanish
Each activity packet includes a recommended packing list and gear request sheet with the specific equipment GOL! has available to borrow within that activity category.
Wish there were an item available you don’t see on the list? Please let us know!
Or if you prefer to explore the entire gear catalog for yourself:
To Request Gear:
- Ensure your membership is set & you’ve completed a Gear Library overview with GOL! staff. (For individual borrowers, you can do this in parallel with your first borrowing request. Program Partner groups must attend full Gear Library Orientation first.)
- Review the activity recommendations & decide what you need to borrow.
- Download and complete a Gear Request Sheet identifying the specific gear needs and date(s) of planned activities.
- Submit your Gear Request Sheet to GOL!’s Hub Coordinator. Email it to us or bring a hardcopy by in person during our usual operating hours. Please plan ahead as much as possible in order for us to accommodate your gear needs in a timely manner; at least a few days ahead of time is ideal. Requests are fulfilled on a first come/first served basis, according to gear inventory availability.
- Receive confirmation of request from GOL! Staff, and schedule date & time for gear pick-up.
- Pick up gear from GOL!, then get outdoors & have fun! Send us some pics of the gear in action, if you can!
- Return gear at pre-set time & complete your Outing Report (in Spanish here) (so we can tally up how the gear is being used & also track maintenance needs).
- Reflect back on your outdoor fun & start planning for your next outing!
GOL! staff is available to assist throughout the process. Reach out to Hub Coordinator, Jackie at email@example.com or 719.293.5533, with any questions or needs. We’re happy to help you determine what gear you should borrow based on your plans.
We want the Gear Library equipment to be available and in good shape for years to come. The better the gear is used & maintained, the more adventures it can support.
Please review Gear Care Guidelines for an outline of the expectations. Treat the GOL! gear better than your own so this resource can be sustained for the community!
We reserve the right to revoke membership if it appears gear care guidelines are not being followed, including state of gear upon its return.
When Something Goes Wrong
Accidents happen to the best of us and normal wear-n-tear is expected. But mindful use and on-going care goes a long way to keeping gear in good shape. Please treat gear like (or better!) than your own so we can sustain this community resource.
If gear is lost or damaged to the point beyond which it can resonably be repaired, GOL! reserves the right to charge borrowers for its replacement. See the Gear Replacement Costs (in Spanish here) sheet for details. Similarly, if repair is required, we may need to pass along the associated cost and reserve the right to do so, as outlined in the membership agreement.
When gear is damaged during use, please alert us so we can address it as soon as possible. See the Gear Damage FAQs and reporting sheet for further instruction.
More Information & All Documents
- Gear Library FAQ: English & Spanish
- Membership Agreement: English & Spanish
- Gear Request Sheet: English & Spanish
- Outing Report: English & Spanish
- Gear Replacement Price List: English & Spanish
Program Partner members, please refer to your specific membership agreement for additional guidance & borrowing requirements.